Thursday, July 2, 2015

Turn It Around

We have so many Vacation Bible School (VBS) programs going on in our town this summer and we just love them all! Each one has something that makes it special. The small ones offer intimate relationships and plenty of one-on-one attention. Kids seem to love that just as much as they love what we have come to refer to as "the big one". We call it the big one because there were over 350 kids that attended every evening for a week and it feels like a concert with the big screens and loud music and all of them singing an awesome version of The B.I.B.L.E.

The big one is one where I round up as many neighborhood friends as we can and organize a carpool to get them all there. We took 15-17 kids each night. I had some friends that helped drive and while it was crazy, I think it's safe to say we all also had a blast.

Of course, when you have a bunch of kids who know each other and are crazy excited and spending extra time together... you might also have a few problems.

One night I had five kids in the back of my van and we ran into a few problems on the ride. Thankfully I had realized on the way there that they all loved the song Home by Phillip Phillips. My way of dealing with whining and fighting in the car is to just turn the music up so loud that I no longer hear the fighting and it just gets to the point where the kids no longer want to try to yell over the music. As things settle down I turn the music down.

So as we were on our way home and things escalated a little in the back of the van I cranked Home. Things began to settle down and eventually I started to hear some singing along until all five had joined in and were singing along terribly. Within two minutes the mood in the van went from frustrated and crazy to one of sweet joy. I couldn't help but smile and when the song ended I hit repeat and we did it again.

These are the kind of moments that remind me why I do what I do...
The kids of moments that make it all worth it.


I love these kids!


001

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...