Eventually the carpet had to go. We tore it up and had a good laugh at what was under it.
The plan was to paint the steps to keep things cheap, but it took me over a year to actually get to it.
Last week I finally got around to painting. Mike was a big help. We repainted the walls and banister to freshen things up. And then I took a few days to get the stairs painted. My only bathroom is upstairs and I painted the landing at the top, so once I painted I had to leave for the day. Two days of that was enough. I'm so glad to be done and I LOVE the final result!
The only thing left to do is to paint the small piece of trim on the middle of the wall upstairs... but it might take me a year to get to that. :)
We found the treads at Home Depot and they work perfectly with the colors we have in our house. I just need to staple or tape them down.
In the end it turned out to be a nice, cheap update. ($70) I'm going to see how the paint holds up. If it lasts and doesn't get all scratched up, I will also paint my bedroom floor. We'll see!