Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Path Appears

Not too long ago I shared a post about human trafficking. After reading it a friend recommended the documentary A Path Appears... so I looked it up.

A Path Appears
The title coming from a quote that goes like this...

Hope is like a path in the countryside: originally there was no path—yet, as people are walking all the time in the same spot, a way appears.

A Path Appears addresses gender-based oppression and human rights violations... situations that seem like there is no hope and no way for the world to over come them. However, the documentary also shares strategies that are in place by great organizations that are combating these offenses against women... people walking toward solutions... in the same spot... over and over... creating a path. A path of hope.

This film can be watched through Amazon or Netflix. It has three episodes, each an hour and a half long. This is a hard film to watch. It's not one where you are going to sit and relax while eating your snacks. There is a good chance you will shed some tears. I cried several times as I listened to women share their stories of abuse... and then I cried again as they shared their victories and what they are doing to help other women today.

So many times in the 4 1/2 hours of watching this, my heart broke for the women, the young girls, and the injustices that have been a part of their lives.

So many times my heart rejoiced at the success stories.

It was emotional.
It was necessary.

It is something I want to watch with my kids when they are teenagers.

The first episode focuses on human trafficking here in the United States. That is rare. So often it is talked about as something that happens in other countries. I appreciated seeing the perspective of what it looks like here on my home turf. And I loved hearing about organizations that are working to do something about slavery here.

The second episode focuses on poverty here and in Haiti and again ends with people that are doing great things to help women and children overcome the hardships that they face because of poverty.

The third episode focuses on domestic violence. It was interesting to hear things addressed like why women stay in abusive relationships and how hard it can be to leave. Sometimes we think we know everything... but we don't. Taking time to listen to these women share their stories... listen without judging... it opens the heart and the mind... and a path appears.

I am so glad that I took the time to watch A Path Appears. It was good to see the gritty reality of what goes on in our world instead of a sugar-coated picture. It was good to also see hope. There are two sides to the issues... those who are a part of the problem and those who are a part of the solution. There is no middle ground.

I hope you take the time to check out A Path Appears.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...