Sunday, May 8, 2016

My Village

I'm pretty sure you've all heard the African proverb...






According to Wikipedia...


It takes a village is a proverb that leverages the cultural context and belief that it takes an entire community to raise a child. A child has the best ability to become a healthy adult if the entire community takes an active role in contributing to the rearing of the child.


It takes a village.

Today my thoughts about Mother's Day have me thinking about my village. I'm 9 1/2 years into this mothering thing and I realize that I could not have done it alone. I like my village. I WANT my village.

The main people in my village are...




Mike.
He has been my greatest support and is a far better parenting partner than I ever imagined I would have. He trusts my instincts when it comes to discipline and he has even read books that I have asked him to read so we could always be on the same page, disciplining in the same way. I believe this has helped our kids see me and Mike as a team and not something they can divide and conquer.

My parents and my in-laws.
The weekends of babysitting so I could have a break and refresh. The extra heapings of love poured out toward my children. The fun that they add to Liza's and Jason's lives. The constant support and encouragement from them. Their belief in me as a mom.

My neighbors.
They keep an eye out for my kids and other kids in the neighborhood. And they don't just stop there. We have neighbors who make simple things magical for Liza and Jason. The memories they will grow up with! I am certain my kids will be inspired by the memories someday when they are older and they will not only treat their neighbors well... but they will add magic to their neighborhood... just like our neighbors are doing for them.

Teachers.
What would I do without the wonderful teachers we have had over the years! The ones with patience I do not possess to teach my children the basic things they need to know so their minds can grow. The ones who have made my children feel special. The ones who have accepted their oddities and embraced who Liza and Jason are. The teachers who have tied their shoes, taught them manners, hugged them, inspired them. The teachers... I would be lost without them!

Volunteers.
The people who are in the childrens' rooms at church every weekend teaching my kids about God and life and how they go together. The volunteers at all the different events and ministries Liza and Jason participate in. The volunteers who care, who smile, who hug, who teach.

My friends.
I couldn't do it without my friends who accept me just as I am. Who let me vent when I am beyond frustrated. Who don't judge me for making different parenting decisions than they have made. Who give me new and different perspectives.



I love my village.
Without my village I am sure I would have run away a long time ago and given up.

To my village... thank you!
Thank you for believing in me and supporting me.
Thank you for contributing to the training of my children... and as a result making my life so much richer!
Thank you for being my village.





media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...