Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Don't Be An Internet Meanie

This is where I struggle with the internet... and the human race...

As you know, I've been watching the Olympics as much as possible. I'll probably go through withdrawal when they are over. Well, either that, or I'll remember that there is life beyond the Olympics again.

Anyways... A few days ago the internet was in a tizzy because Gabby Douglas did not place her hand over her heart as she stood on the gold platform and the National Anthem was played. So much criticism was thrown at her because she didn't behave as all the other Americans expected her to. They said she was disrespectful to her country and called her unpatriotic.

A week later, as I was watching the Olympics, I noticed two of our track athletes standing on the medal platform, medals around their necks while the National Anthem once again played. And guess what!? They didn't have their hands over their hearts! They stood just like Gabby Douglas did.

I've been waiting for the uproar. For the name calling. For the hating. But it doesn't seem to be coming. Maybe not as many people were watching? I googled "Olympic track athletes don't place hand over heart" and all that came up was stuff about Gabby Douglas.

How unfair!

I feel like America owes Gabby an apology. I didn't get to watch all of the gymnastics but I thought she acted like an athlete that was there to compete. She's stunning. She's 20 years old and as far as I can tell has some solid character. She appeared very mature. She is someone I have no problem with my daughter looking up to.

And sadly, her team victory, for her, is now tainted by the internet meanies who think they are better than every one else.

I guess my point is... if it's wrong for one, it's wrong for all. And if it isn't a big deal for track athletes to not place their hands on their hearts during the National Anthem... then it's not a big deal that Gabby Douglas didn't do it either.

And the thing about the internet... your words are out there forever. Be careful what you type. And don't be an internet meanie.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...