Friday, March 24, 2017

Brave

At the beginning of the school year Liza came home from school super excited... She was going to learn to play the violin! My creative, musical girl was going to get to play an instrument that she chose.

I filled out the papers, sent in the money and began renting a violin. Liza was bummed when her lessons at school started because they were just plucking and she really wanted to learn how to use the bow.

One day she ran in the door after school with the biggest smile on her face, threw down her backpack, pulled out her violin and started playing with the bow! The excitement and pride were intense.

Then she had to start learning a song to play for the spring concert with the rest of the orchestra. Over and over she told me that she didn't think she was doing well, that it didn't sound good, that she couldn't do it.

One night at bedtime she came to me and said, "There are a couple things really frustrating me right now." Having to play the violin at the concert in front of people was one of the frustrating things. We talked through it. I emailed with her music teacher. We both encouraged Liza and after a few more weeks she decided she could do it. She was ready. She had started practicing more and was even looking forward to it.

Today was the day of the spring concert.

Liza walked up onto the stage with her violin and lined up with the rest of the orchestra. She set up her music stand and music... and when it was time... she played. Such an intense look of concentration on her face.

And then it happened...

The bridge on her violin broke.

There was still another song to go and she just stood there. Not able to play. Sad. I could see it on her face.

I wanted to run onto the stage, grab her up and run away.
I knew how much that moment meant to her.
I knew how much she practiced.
I knew how hard she worked to overcome her fears and be up there today.

As I watched her hold back her tears, I found that I was sitting in my seat holding back my own.

I met her as she exited the stage and we hugged and cried together... but only for a few moments because another grade was doing one song and then she had to go back on with the choir.

So in those three minutes Liza shared that she was disappointed because she really wanted to do it, we hugged, found some tissues, blew our noses and wiped away our tears. We hugged again and then she lined up with the choir and went out and sang.

And my heart grew.

My Liza is a brave girl in so many ways. I am so incredibly proud of her!



This is Liza during her first song before the violin broke. The beginners plucked for Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
IMG_0003-001




media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...