Friday, March 17, 2017

Gym Progress

So about three weeks ago I joined the gym. It feels much longer. Already I love my new daily routine... get the kids on the bus and go to the gym. If for some reason I can't get there in the morning I find that I miss it and make time to go later in the day.

I thought I was going to need someone to tell me what to do so I would stay motivated, but it turns out I'm pretty good at telling myself what to do.

I have a few general goals.

1. Strengthen my body.
I do so much sitting around and I've become quite weak over the years. Already though I can tell that I am getting stronger. I am adding weight when using the machines and will continue to push myself.

2. Flexibility.
Every day I make sure to spend a good amount of time stretching. Three weeks ago I could barely touch my toes when my legs were straight out in front of me, and it hurt to even try. Today I can wrap my fingers around my feet. I like stretching! It's become one of my favorite parts of my day!

3. Endurance.
Every spring when I go back to work I feel like I am going to die on my third trip up the big hill in a day. Lack of strength and endurance. I am determined to have this year be different! Endurance isn't the easiest thing for me to work on. I can't run because I get shin splints within weeks and they get so bad that I can't do anything else. I have also been having issues with my feet. So I'm limited to low impact things. The elliptical and bike are my choices.

4. Pushups.
For some reason pushups have always been an indicator of strength to me. If I can do pushups, I am strong. If I can't do them, I am weak. So three times a week I do pushups, and I add one per week. When I started I could barely do one pushup. Today I can barely do three. :) Next week it will be four.

I'm really glad that I joined the gym. It's been a good thing for me and I'm realizing just how much I actually missed being an active person. I am far too good at sitting around and doing nothing, but now I'm locked in to a 12 month commitment at the gym. I'll be paying... so I better be going!

Now to just get on track with my eating! I'm getting there. Better choices every day. The scale is moving in the right direction and I am feeling good... but I know I can completely sabotage all my efforts with food... and I don't want to do that any more.

So that's my progress report. I'm glad I joined and I have become a regular at the gym.

media buttons for post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...